German Battery of Longues-sur-Mer
Key element of the Atlantic Wall, the battery at Longues sur Mer included a range-finding post and four casemates, each housing a 150-mm gun.
It was built on a clifftop overlooking the English Channel. In the heart of the Allied assault sector, it played a strategic role during the Normandy Landings on June 6th 1944.
Despite numerous allied air raids in the night of 5th June 1944, the battery was still operational on the morning of 6th June.
It was disabled later that day by bombardments from allied battle ships at sea.
On 7th June, the battery surrendered to British soldiers from the Devonshire Regiment.
Buy your tickets from our Bayeux, Port-en-Bessin and Arromanches offices,
and save 25% off visits.
Available at the Tourist Office
The german battery at Longues-sur-MerAuthor : Rémy Desquesnes, historian
Editor : OREP Editions
Highpoint of the Atlantic Wall, the German coastal artillery battery at Longues-sur-Mer is worth a detour. Contrary to Pointe du Hoc, the Longues battery, whose guns are still in place, fired on the allied warships on the morning of D-day.
Price : 5,70 €